Thursday, August 31, 2023

The Day the Turkeys stood still

 August 31, 2023

The hills and mountains are my church, my place of reflection and peace.  The place I feel closest to God and loved ones gone.  Whenever I am in the hills alone hunting, my mind often wanders to friends and family who I have lost over the years.  I think about the times spent with them hunting, fishing or just being together.  I think not only of the times together, but how I wish they could be there with me still.  I believe that they are in spirit, I believe that every time you remember someone who has passed, they know you are thinking of them, especially in the solitude of the mountains. 

  I sometimes think of missed opportunities to be with them.  For some reason or other, we didn’t get together for something.  Those are the things that we often regret in life, missed chances to spend time with someone special, even if you don’t realize how special they are in your life at the time.   I would give almost anything to have my father be here to hunt with me and my daughters, or at least be able to share the stories of our hunts with him.  I believe he knows, and is there,  but it is not the same now that he is gone from this earth.

There are other people who were influential in my life besides my father as well that I would love to share the woods with again in life.  They are the ones who are with me every time I go into the field to hunt, I hear their words of wisdom, sometimes their jokes and sometimes I even ask for their help to encourage a buck in my direction!  George Hoeper, was one such man.  He was the best running game shot I have ever seen, and a fantastic writer.  He wrote for several newspapers and published a couple of very fine books.  I think of him every time I teach Hunter Safety especially.  He is the one who pounded into my head that “we are Sportsmen, and we use rifles and shotguns, not weapons!  The word ‘weapon’ changes the feel of everything when you use it, so use the correct word!”  He told me that when I asked him to proof read an article I was writing for a newsletter when I was just 15.  That was about 40 years ago, and I can still perfectly hear his voice and see him saying it in my mind like it was yesterday. I use a similar statement in every class I teach.

Today, I lost another good friend too soon.  He and I never hunted together, although we always planned too.  For one reason or another, it just never happened.  We texted back and forth quite a bit about hunting for sure.  He was mostly a bird hunter; he was a fantastic duck hunter and loved hunting turkeys and pheasants as well.  He shot one deer in his life, it was a nice Blacktail buck that he actually shot from a duck blind, not during duck season tho!  We were constantly sending pictures back and forth of turkeys we saw and/or harvested.  We even texted pictures and videos while we were hunting sometimes if it was slow.  He was also excited about becoming a Mentor with me in the First Hunt Foundation and helping grow the program here in California, bringing new people into the sport we both love.   I know the next time I take a picture of a turkey; I will want to send it to him, and that hurts so much right now.

There is a large flock of turkeys that live on our half mile long dirt road to my house.  I see them every day as I drive in and out. I have sent several pictures to him of the poults when they were little, of the big Toms and even the one bearded hen I occasionally see.   Usually the turkeys scatter and run, some fly across the ditch to get away from the truck.  But today as I drove home, thinking of my friend, the turkeys didn’t scatter, they didn’t fly, they all stood, stoically and silent as I passed, as if they knew.  I will miss you greatly my friend, and I am deeply sorry I missed our opportunity to share a blind, but I will always have you with me.  God speed.



No comments:

Post a Comment

New Website!

 I have built a new website that can grow with me rather than limit me to just a blog.  So if you would do me a favor and go check out my ne...